MyPolitics-Forum.com

Go Back   MyPolitics-Forum.com > Politics Discussion > US Politics

» Welcome, Guest!
Welcome to MyPolitics-Forum.com, brought to you by the same folks who bring you MyMedia-Forum.com.
Thanks for dropping by! Is the page too narrow for your preference? Once you register, you will be able to set it to your liking! You will need to register before you can post, so why not get it out of the way now? Enjoy! :)

Old January 19th, 2018, 12:40 PM
Rabble rousing since...for a long time

Default Government shutdown /highly likely/

It is said that Nero fiddled while Rome burned.

A couple thousand years later, the orange-tinted one is holding a 'anniversary of the inauguration gala' at his private pay-to-play beach club, where customers who want a shot at bending the ear of the sitting president of the United States only have to pay $100K--per couple. (source)

This is happening while the government is facing the highly likely possibility of a shutdown--and before anyone comes around with "but the Democrats!!!" allow me to remind everyone that, right now, the Republican party controls ALL THREE BRANCHES OF THE GOVERNMENT.

During a government shutdown, for those who don't know, military families living check to check will not get any money. Support personnel will not get paid. Servicepeople who are deployed stay put--without support from the increasing number of civilian contractors who will not get paid. All government travel, unless its already paid for, or is essential/emergency, is cancelled.

But the orange pos? He'll travel to his personal commercial property, at taxpayers' dime, so he can charge people to come to try and bribe him for concessions (see NRA, see Russia, see...).

Last edited by azteclady; January 20th, 2018 at 01:50 PM. Reason: reality changed
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old January 20th, 2018, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Government shutdown /highly likely/

On the one year anniversary of the orange ass' inauguration, the government is shut down.

The Republican party controls both houses of Congress AND has a monster claiming affiliation to their party sitting in the Oval Office--and for the past however many months they couldn't come up with a budget that would pass a vote.

This is incompetence to the nth degree.

Now watch the press do their 'both sides' BS and say how both parties couldn't come to an agreement.

Watch as shameless liars McConnell and Ryan blame the Democrats in Congress for their own incompetence.

Watch the king of declaring bankruptcies and leaving others to hold the bag party in his own property for money--hello, emoluments clause!--and meltdown on twitter because people didn't kneel at his command.

Then tell me how racism and an archaic electoral college system worked to alleviate the 'economic anxiety' of the white minority who put the country in this sh*thole in the first place.
Old January 20th, 2018, 01:56 PM

(duplicate post)

Last edited by azteclady; January 21st, 2018 at 03:24 AM.
Old January 20th, 2018, 07:30 PM
Immoderate
Administrator

The Democratic party is on the hook for this, politically speaking, whether or not you agree that they should be.

"Facts are stupid things."
-Ronald Reagan

Once known as Left-Wing Nutjob
Old January 20th, 2018, 08:15 PM

::headtilt::

No.

Michael Steele, former Chairman of the Republican National Committee (source):
"Despite the rhetorical effort to paste Democrats with the "Schummer's Shutdown" and to redefine what constitutes majority control of the Senate (60? really?), the fact remains that this shutdown rest at the feet of the GOP and it appears a majority of Americans agree."

Last edited by azteclady; January 20th, 2018 at 08:24 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 01:49 PM

I don't know how to embed the video, so I tweeted it and here's the link: Mitch McConnell objected to funding the military during the shutdown. There's no way the Democrats 'own' that. (link)
Old January 28th, 2018, 04:49 AM
Immoderate
Administrator

So i can't seem to able to find out what concessions the Democrat minority was able to extract in return for the emergency spending bill that restarted most governmental operations. All i see is lots of Democrat boosters claiming a smashing victory.

Now, this could simply be ineptitude on my part. But if the ruling party made any important concessions, i'd genuinely like to hear about them.

-Ronald Reagan

Old February 1st, 2018, 02:29 PM

It may be that we move in different online circles--I don't watch tv, and the clips I see are from tweets by people I follow.

I saw that GOP gave in on funding CHIP, after months of letting poor children go without healthcare insurance.

I also see that, since the continuance was only for three weeks, GOP will itself in the same position of trying to blame Democrats for their unwillingness to protect the most vulnerable, in a matter of days.

They buckled under pressure to refund CHIP, we'll see what happens this time.
Old February 2nd, 2018, 05:55 PM
Immoderate
Administrator

Ok, CHIP is definitely a big deal, and i hadn't heard that. So thanks.

Personally i'm getting really nervous about DACA. It seems like Trump really wants to dig his heels in on that, and that's really a big deal here in NYS (I know it's a big deal nationwide, but i particularly see it here in the Empire State). Open enrollment for health care for the state Marketplace ended yesterday, and as much of a pain in the ass as it would be to create special enrollment periods for the hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers whose asses are hanging in the breeze over this bullshit right now, it would be just as much if not more of a pain in the ass to have to close out all those accounts, not to even begin to mention the health care crisis it would cause. This is just flat-out insane.

I understand that it was convenient for Obama to keep DACA via the fiat of executive order, but man, it would've been so much better for the entire country if the Democrats had taken the time to use legislation instead, back when they had that legislative supermajority. There were SO many things that could've been done at that time that weren't. I continue to feel so betrayed by that. The mandate from the citizenry couldn't have been much clearer, but so very little was actually accomplished, and much of what was accomplished is being so easily undone.

The protections that were put in place for citizens against predatory "payday" loaners who charge exorbitant interest are being undone. That won't affect us here in NY because we have state laws against that sort of thing, but all kinds of national consumer protections enacted under the Obama administration are being gutted now, particularly the protections put in place to protect the most fiscally vulnerable individuals and families. I worry that we're headed back to an era of debtors' prisons - shit, the prison industry needs to keep growing somehow, right?

-Ronald Reagan

Old February 2nd, 2018, 07:26 PM

The mayor weakness of the Democratic party has been, for the past six decades or so, that they want to govern through bipartisanship, so that ALL people living in the USoA feel that they are being heard and that the needs of all are being considered when making decisions that affect them.

In the meantime, GOP has been much more pragmatic, and much more effective: they operate in a "the only win is a unilateral win" strategy.

So yes, the Democrats should definitely have gone the whole way into codifying healthcare for all into law, instead of throwing their hands up, and relying on the executive power.

My only hope is that the new crop of candidates running this year under the Democratic banner are young enough to understand these dynamics, and not fall for them when (please, universe, WHEN) they have the chance to effect real change.

I hope they embed protections for the most vulnerable and marginalized groups in the country so deeply into the system, the only way to eliminate them is to raze the country.
« MyPolitics-Forum.com > Politics Discussion > US Politics »