MyPolitics-Forum.com

Go Back   MyPolitics-Forum.com > Politics Discussion > Politics in Pop Culture

» Welcome, Guest!
Welcome to MyPolitics-Forum.com, brought to you by the same folks who bring you MyMedia-Forum.com.
Thanks for dropping by! Is the page too narrow for your preference? Once you register, you will be able to set it to your liking! You will need to register before you can post, so why not get it out of the way now? Enjoy! :)

Old December 30th, 2010, 01:47 AM
Unfair, Unbalanced, Unmedicated
Administrator

Default When politics and sports collide...

...strange things happen. I haven't been as active here on the politics forum as I'd like lately but I just came across this story and literally had to do a double-take. I honestly can't believe someone actually said this or that I haven't heard about it before now, even on sports radio. Though it's probably best that sports commentators stay out of the realm of politics since most people who listen to sports radio (myself included) do so partially because they want to avoid political discussion altogether.

Anyway, the story.

PHILADELPHIA -- The Eagles are more worried about Michael Vick's injured leg than another attack on his dogfighting past.

Fox analyst Tucker Carlson gave the harshest critique of Vick's past yet, saying the Philadelphia Eagles quarterback "should have been executed" for his gruesome dogfighting crimes.

Carlson was guest hosting for Sean Hannity's show on Fox News Channel on Tuesday night when he made the remarks. He led a panel discussion about President Barack Obama commending the owner of the Eagles for giving Vick a second chance after his release from prison. Vick served 18 months in federal prison for running a dogfighting ring.

"I'm a Christian, I've made mistakes myself, I believe fervently in second chances," Carlson said on the show. "But Michael Vick killed dogs, and he did [it] in a heartless and cruel way. And I think, personally, he should've been executed for that. He wasn't, but the idea that the president of the United States would be getting behind someone who murdered dogs?"

Pamela Browner White, the Eagles senior vice president of public affairs and government relations, said the team had no comment.

The Eagles did not practice on Wednesday so Vick, voted an NFC Pro Bowl starter, was not available for comment.

Neither Vick's agent, Joel Segal, nor Fox News immediately returned phone messages on Wednesday.

This season, Vick has gone from a seldom-used backup to the NFC's leading passer, the catalyst for Philadelphia's dynamic offense. He was selected in a leaguewide vote by NFL players, coaches and fans to start for the NFC in the Jan. 30 Pro Bowl in Honolulu, and has led the Eagles to the No. 3 seed in the NFC.

He bruised a leg on the first play of the Eagles' 24-14 loss to the Minnesota Vikings on Tuesday night and might not play in Sunday's season finale against the Dallas Cowboys.

Carlson, a conservative commentator, was angry that Obama told Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie he believes people who have paid for their crimes should have the opportunity to contribute to society again.

"But the idea that the president of the United States would be getting behind someone who murdered dogs [is] kind of beyond the pale," he said.

Vick, who saw his first dogfight as a 7-year-old, has revived his career and is taking steps to rebuild his image. He spends time on his off days working with the Humane Society of the United States and speaking to school and community groups about the cruelty of dogfighting. He has said he'd never be able to completely forget the horrific acts he witnessed and committed.

He made headlines recently when he said he genuinely cares about animals and would like to have a dog for a pet. Vick said his kids ask him every day for a dog and wants to adopt one for his family.

It won't happen soon. Under the terms of his probation, which ends in May 2012, he cannot own dogs during that time.

Carlson called Vick "some creepy rich overpaid football player" and used his platform to take a dig at Obama.

"He went to jail for two years. I mean, whatever," Carlson said. "I think the president should be quiet on this one."

(Source)

Seriously Tucker? Has this guy completely lost his damned mind? I've pretty much avoided all political TV and radio shows for the better part of the year, since around March, so I have no idea if this is something out of line for Tucker or not. I don't even remember really paying any attention to him when I did pay more attention to this stuff.

Regardless, it certainly has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've read in quite some time. As a Falcons fan I'm certainly no fan of Vick, but execution is a bit extreme. Maybe I've been out of the loop too long and this is what passes for commentary on FOX News these days. If so, then I'm glad I've been ignoring them (and everyone else for that matter) since March.

When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.
-Frédéric Bastiat
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old December 30th, 2010, 03:10 AM
Souperior Being
Administrator

Default Re: When politics and sports collide...

I saw this story today, too. I remember there was a time I actually took Tucker Carlson seriously, then he had that stupid thing with Stewart on CNN.

I am constantly amazed at the Right's co-opting of Christianity while espousing the most un-Christian of life modeling.
Old December 31st, 2010, 01:20 AM

Has Carlson ever commented on the Vick case in the past two years? I doubt that he cares all that much about what Vick did; he and Fox just wanted a chance to bash Obama and attract attention. There's a legitimate question to argue about the limits of punishment and redemption, but that's not even remotely what Carlson was doing.
Old January 1st, 2011, 07:54 PM
Immoderate
Administrator

Politics and sports meet up every so often. I understand that most sports listeners and watchers prefer to avoid political discussion, and i think most hosts are wise to do so.

One of the things i've admired about Pardon The Interruption is their willingness to unapologetically discuss political issues, but i wouldn't appreciate seeing every (or any, really) other sports commentator jumping on that wagon. I should like to start watching PTI again, but i'm usually at work when it's on.

As for the OP, it's just another example of the silly lengths to which Fox will go to attract attention and to bash the President.

"Facts are stupid things."
-Ronald Reagan

Once known as Left-Wing Nutjob
Old January 1st, 2011, 08:44 PM

It's been just over a year (two seasons, right?) since Vick came back -- we have a Michael Vick in Philadelphia thread, but this one seems more current, with the question Brian raised.

soup said in August '09:

Quote:
It's the "free" market.

He can only get paid if someone is willing to pay him. Nobody mandated he get hired. The reason why most of us, or news heads, etc., would not get their jobs back is we/they are replaceable.
Vick has a skill set that someone values, and they must have factored in the potential backlash.

He paid his price, he has a second chance, I say we see how he does.
So what should the limits of a second chance be? Vick paid for his crime in the legal definition, and will probably pay forever in a social sense. (He has the dubious comfort of knowing what the first paragraph in his obit will include.) But what should the limits of public forgiveness be for making racist/sexist/homophobic remarks, assaulting people, torturing animals, etc.?

It does make me wonder about the American mindset about winners vs. losers. If Vick had flopped, would Obama or anyone be speaking up now about second chances? (unrelated to soup's point back in the day)
Old January 2nd, 2011, 05:02 AM
Speaker of the Hounds of Representatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maturin View Post
Has Carlson ever commented on the Vick case in the past two years? I doubt that he cares all that much about what Vick did; he and Fox just wanted a chance to bash Obama and attract attention. There's a legitimate question to argue about the limits of punishment and redemption, but that's not even remotely what Carlson was doing.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 12:47 AM
Souperior Being
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maturin View Post
It's been just over a year (two seasons, right?) since Vick came back -- we have a Michael Vick in Philadelphia thread, but this one seems more current, with the question Brian raised.

soup said in August '09:

So what should the limits of a second chance be? Vick paid for his crime in the legal definition, and will probably pay forever in a social sense. (He has the dubious comfort of knowing what the first paragraph in his obit will include.) But what should the limits of public forgiveness be for making racist/sexist/homophobic remarks, assaulting people, torturing animals, etc.?

It does make me wonder about the American mindset about winners vs. losers. If Vick had flopped, would Obama or anyone be speaking up now about second chances? (unrelated to soup's point back in the day)
There'd be no reason for Obama to call him if he was still 2nd string. However, Vick has done much work going to schools to discuss his crimes and lessons.
Dogfighting is awful but I think most people don't understand how it may have found it's way into certain sub-cultures. Like cock-fighting in some hispanic cultures. It's barbaric, but part of their culture. Like eating veal. Not saying eating veal is like killing dogs the way he did (some may disagree), just pointing out perspectives.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 02:06 AM

Vick paid his legal debt, and in some weird way he's become the best advocate for abused dogs everywhere. But I personally just see "dog killer" when I hear his name.

Because periodically you should look at your own culture and say "wtf." Hold it to account. In grade school in Illinois, I recall being taught that the slaves were living better in South Carolina than they ever did in Africa. No. No matter what southern Illinois told itself then (and it didn't vote for Obama for Senate later), just No.

Vick was an adult and should have known not to do what he did. But what's the point of the legal system and prison if not to reform people who should have known? We should want criminals, up to a certain point, to want to do better and to get the second chance. But sometimes it just isn't easy for anybody.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 04:03 PM
Souperior Being
Administrator

I think there is a segment of Americans who would just assume keep criminals in prison and away from us. And by "criminals" I mean "non-white males."
Old September 27th, 2017, 02:14 PM
Immoderate
Administrator

I liked how the Cowboys paid tribute to both sides in this past week of uproar over NFL players kneeling or not during the traditional playing of The Star-Spangled Banner. I truly liked it, i thought it was a classy move to show that as an organization they see that both sides are right.

I think the players as individuals can and should be able to do whatever they want during the anthem. The networks aren't obliged to cover it and no politician is obliged to try to turn it into a distraction from other political discussions. Granted, i think that Kaepernick and the current players who protest want that coverage, and that that's part of the whole point of the protest from the beginning.

I think that what individual players do as political statements before or after the games don't have to be a distraction from the games themselves.

As i said earlier at the NFL thread at MyMedia, i think it's insane that Colin Kaepernick doesn't have a job as a starting quarterback in the NFL given his talent level and the number of teams that need help at that position. Perhaps it's a sacrifice he's happy to make, though, considering everything that's happened as a direct result of him being out of work and all the media attention being called to it.

"Facts are stupid things."
-Ronald Reagan

Once known as Left-Wing Nutjob
« MyPolitics-Forum.com > Politics Discussion > Politics in Pop Culture »