MyPolitics-Forum.com

Go Back   MyPolitics-Forum.com > Politics Discussion > US Politics

» Welcome, Guest!
Welcome to MyPolitics-Forum.com, brought to you by the same folks who bring you MyMedia-Forum.com.
Thanks for dropping by! Is the page too narrow for your preference? Once you register, you will be able to set it to your liking! You will need to register before you can post, so why not get it out of the way now? Enjoy! :)

Old July 7th, 2016, 02:49 PM
Rabble rousing since...for a long time

Default White people: stand up.

I confess: I have no idea when this was filmed. Given the quality of the audio and video, I'm going to guess that it's at least five years, perhaps even a full decade, old.

Either way, this remains true.

In two days, two Black men in the United States were killed by white officers for NO reason--let alone with legal justification. There is video evidence, in both cases, showing, viscerally and literally, that these white cops had no reasonable justification for killing these two men.

And yet, white people say that there is no racism in the US.

And yet, white people say that Jesse Williams should be fired from Grey's Anatomy for speaking about police brutality at the BET Awards.*

And yet, white people have the unmitigated gall of talking about 'Black privilege.'

So. If you are white, and if you are so all-fired convinced that there is no racism in the US, go ahead. Stand up.

And if you don't? Shut up about how good those black Americans have it. Shut up about how Blue Lives Matter--because it's pretty obvious that white lives and cops' lives matter a hell of a lot more than any people of color's, but particularly more than a Black person in the US.

* Talking about police brutality, has anyone reading this ever checked out Mapping Police Violence? If you haven't, you should. This is why black parents have been teaching their children to fear law enforcement: black men get killed by cops at least five times more than white men. FIVE times.

Also worth looking at, this page at The Guardian, regarding how these shootings get--or don't get--reported, investigated, prosecuted in the US.

Edited to add: a piece on Salon about the delusions of 'anti-white propaganda,' and how white parents and politicians are upset that their children are taught about the racial divide, and horrifying history of racism and endemic abuse of minorities in the US. What do these white, privileged people care that black and brown children don't have a choice about being race-aware, and about living their entire lives hyper vigilant of law enforcement, neighborhood vigilantes, and random racists calling the cops on them for the crime of being black?

Further edit, to add: racism is not "black America's problem." Racism is the problem of every single person living in the US right now. Some of us will be able to vote and elect people, and lobby for law enforcement reform. Some of us won't--because we have a work visa, because we are legal residents not allowed to vote, because we will be shot dead before we can do anything. If you are white, there are things you can do. Here are some.

Last edited by azteclady; July 7th, 2016 at 03:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old July 8th, 2016, 12:56 PM

Default Re: White people: stand up.

In light of the murders of five police officers in Dallas, during a protest over police brutality, and before anyone else tells me that police officers risk their lives every day, allow me to quote Jon Stewart (source):
(Y)ou can truly grieve for every officer who’s been lost in the line of duty in this country, and still be troubled by cases of police overreach. Those two ideas are not mutually exclusive. You can have great regard for law enforcement and still want them to be held to high standards.
People, like me, who are concerned and angry about police brutality do not believe that ALL COPS are evil beings intent on genocide. We do believe that the current system favors cops' lives over black people's lives, and that society, by and large, encourages this behaviour. That 'thin blue line' means that cops will lie for other cops, and that very few, if any, of the cops who have killed unarmed, un threatening, compliant, black men, go to trial, and of those, a tiny number may even be found guilty.

Blaming BlackLivesMatter for violence against cops is the same as blaming ALL black people for the actions of a few people, while telling us that we shouldn't blame all cops for the actions of a few cops.

edited to add: I just became aware of this letter from a law professor to some of his first year law students, who expressed concern because s/he wore a Black Lives Matter t-shirt to class one day. I find this part of his response to be particularly fitting:
Premise: There is an invisible 'only' in front of "Black Lives Matter"
Critique: There is a difference between focus and exclusion. If something matters, this doesn't imply that nothing else does. If I say, "Law Students Matter," it does not imply that my colleagues, friends and family do not. Here is something else that matters: context. The Black Lives Matter movement arose in a context of evidence that they don't. When people are receiving messages from the culture in which they live that their lives are less important than other lives, it's a cruel distortion of reality to scold them for not being inclusive enough.
There are some implicit words that precede "Black Lives Matter," and they go something like this:
Because of the brutalization and killing of black people at the hands of police, and the indifference of society in general, and the criminal justice system in particular, it is important that we say that...
Black Lives Matter is about focus, not exclusion. As a general matter, seeing the world and the people in it in mutually exclusive, either/or terms, impedes your own thought processes.

Last edited by azteclady; July 8th, 2016 at 04:05 PM. Reason: law professor letter
Old July 11th, 2016, 05:24 PM

The hashtag #WhitePrivilegeMeans should be mandatory reading for anyone who still thinks that white privilege is a myth, conjured out of whole cloth by 'those' radicals, 'those' racist, 'those' divisive people who want black lives to matter just as much as white ones do.

Don't believe me? Here's a bite sized sample for you.
Old July 21st, 2016, 03:39 PM

Another day, another unarmed black man shot by police.

And once again, white people questioning what the black man--who was laying on the ground with his open, empty hands in the air--did to force the poor cop to shoot him.

Yes, there ARE people out there who are actively looking for ways to blame this black man, unarmed, with his obviously empty hands up in the air, for having a cop shooting him.

Welcome to white fragility.

Oh, you say, you are making that up.

No, I am not.

From Salon:
White fragility is a phrase coined by author Dr. Robin DiAngelo, and is defined as “a state in which even a minimum amount of racial stress becomes intolerable, triggering a range of defensive moves.” According to DiAngelo, most white people “live in a social environment that insulates them from race-based stress,” due to their privilege as part of the cultural majority. In turn, says DiAngelo, whites are infrequently challenged and have less of a tolerance to race-based stress, causing them to be hostile, guilty, defensive, or fearful when confronted. This phenomenon is white fragility. In the end, white fragility ensures that conversations about race are derailed, and the status quo of white supremacy is upheld.
Are you a fragile white person?

Last edited by azteclady; July 21st, 2016 at 03:41 PM. Reason: adding first link
Old August 24th, 2016, 02:35 PM

Why it's important for white people to examine their own, often subconscious bias:

Ryan Lochte, white Olympic medalist, fabricates a story about being held up, at gun point, by Brazilians 'thugs.' His lies are exposed, he waves his hands about how he "over exaggerated," and the media (looking at you, whitebread Billy Bush), apologize for his behaviour with what amounts to, 'bogs will be boys' and 'he just wanted to have fun here.'

Ryan Lochte is 32 years old.

Meanwhile, Legend Preston is playing basketball near his home, when cops chase him with guns drawn, because--they claimed--he looked like the robbery suspect they were chasing.

Legend Preston is 10 years old.

TEN YEARS OLD--and the cops insisted that he looked like the MAN they were chasing, that he matched the description.

However, when they did catch the robbery suspect, that man has FACIAL HAIR.

Can anyone explain how a short haired, baby faced TEN YEAR OLD looks like a dredlocked, facial hair sporting twenty year old--other than they are both black?

What, I wonder, would have happened if this child had been running with a toy in his hand? Answer: probably the same thing that happened to Tamir Rice. And his killers, just like in Tamir Rice's case, would likely not be indicted or punished in any way.

Source.
Old August 27th, 2016, 10:38 PM

This thread on twitter, should be required read--followed by a long hard look at our own biases.

Last edited by azteclady; August 29th, 2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old August 28th, 2016, 12:15 PM
Administrator

I understand the point, but it might be better received if you weren't labeling a whole group of people as racist based on the color of their skin.
Old August 30th, 2016, 12:44 AM

With all due respect, if the shock of being asked to examine their own subconsciously held beliefs is too much for them, making it easier on them shouldn't be on the people being treated--still--as devoid of rights.

Black people are asked to 'rise above' and to forgive--often immediately on the heels of tragedy (Charleston massacre, anyone?)

Black people's civil rights are often denied them--look at the reaction that Gabby Douglas got simply for not putting her hand to her heart during the US national anthem, after winning Olympic Gold, or the reaction Colin Kaepernick is getting right now, for exercising his right to free expression, and not standing as the national anthem played.

What's sad and exhausting about this? It's that this is exactly the same reaction white people--and yes, it is white people--have been having since the days of Jackie Robinson, and Muhammad Ali, and Tommie Smith and John Carlos.

For people who don't want to hear, it does not matter how softly, or carefully, or politely, people of color protest.

But perhaps, just perhaps, there are some people out there who will read through this, and stop a moment to examine their own kneejerk reaction to being asked to stand.

Because, if you watched that clip on the first post? All that the white people sitting there were asked to do, was to stand. Just that. To stand.

And not one of them did.

Last edited by azteclady; August 30th, 2016 at 02:45 AM.
Old August 30th, 2016, 02:46 PM

On why we say that Black Lives Matter, as explained in an essay about media coverage of Colin Kaepernick's exercise of free speech:
...the men who shot the officers in Dallas and Baton Rouge were killed immediately as cop killers often are. Finding a cop killer not dead or convicted is even rarer than finding a killer cop arrested at all.

Again, people aren’t just protesting police murder, they are protesting “getting away with” murder — the ultimate expression on the non-value of Black life in America.

And while a political convention or presidential race panel won’t dare explain this super-simplistic point, Colin Kaepernick can.

Walter Scott, killed by officer Matthew Slager on video, was a US Veteran. So was India Kager, Kenneth Chamberlain and others. Scott was not only shot while running away, but the original police report was falsified so Slager could “get away with murder."

A flag does not inherently represent soldiers. That is a lifetime of political brainwashing talking.

what they're really saying is "White Feelings >Black Lives"
Old September 1st, 2016, 02:28 AM

If you are wondering, as a white person, what you can do/not do when there's a conversation about race, and you are not one of those racist people who are the topic, you may want to read this thread on twitter--which, by the by, is written by a white cis hetero guy: PSA reminders for us white folk attempting to navigate from indoctrinated to anti-racist

It's thoughtful, and it does not claim to be the be all, end all; it's just a very good starting place.
« MyPolitics-Forum.com > Politics Discussion > US Politics »