MyPolitics-Forum.com

Go Back   MyPolitics-Forum.com > Politics Discussion > Polls

» Welcome, Guest!
Welcome to MyPolitics-Forum.com, brought to you by the same folks who bring you MyMedia-Forum.com.
Thanks for dropping by! Is the page too narrow for your preference? Once you register, you will be able to set it to your liking! You will need to register before you can post, so why not get it out of the way now? Enjoy! :)
View Poll Results: Does Trump face primary opposition for 2020 re-election?
No, the GOP will close ranks behind him 0 0%
No, he'll be removed via article 25 beforehand 0 0%
No, he'll be impeached and removed beforehand 0 0%
No, he'll resign first 0 0%
Yes 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 8th, 2017, 07:35 PM
Immoderate
Administrator

Default Will Trump face a tough primary? If so can he win?

I can't remember the last time a sitting POTUS faced a primary challenge after his first term, but it certainly seems like the divisions in the Republican party haven't healed in any deeply meaningful nor long-lasting ways, so he seems like a strong candidate for such an internal challenge.

I tried to offer several options for this poll to cover a variety of potential answers to the question. If any member doesn't see any answers they'd like to see, even if that option isn't necessarily one they'd vote for, feel free to post the option(/s) you'd like in this thread or to Private Message me with that option, and i'll make sure to add that option to the poll.

This is a topic which has the potential to stay relevant for several years, so i'm going to sticky it for now.

This is a public poll, but not multiple choice.

"Facts are stupid things."
-Ronald Reagan

Once known as Left-Wing Nutjob

Last edited by Mr Mo; November 8th, 2017 at 07:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old November 9th, 2017, 02:40 PM
Rabble rousing since...for a long time

Default Re: Will Trump face a tough primary? If so can he win?

One observation: I think you meant Article 25, not 15?

In my opinion, if he's still the so-called president by 2019, any primary and the subsequent elections will either be rigged, or simply won't happen. If he's still in power two more years, that will mean he'll have finished dismantling whatever democratic institutions were designed to curb autocratic takeovers.
Old November 9th, 2017, 05:28 PM
Immoderate
Administrator

Yes, article 25, thanks. Fixed that in the poll option too.

Scary prediction. It sure looks like he's trying to do just that. I can't seriously believe he'll succeed, but shit i've consistently underestimated him from the beginning.

-Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Mr Mo; November 15th, 2017 at 05:36 AM.
Old November 9th, 2017, 05:35 PM

The reason many of us underestimated him was because we really didn't know who actually owns him; had we known back in June 2015 how deep in debt to Russian oligarchs, and Putin himself, Trump is, we might have been a bit more wary of foreign intervention in US elections.

Then again, MSM was in love with all the clickbait headlines he gave them from day one, so they may have not cared enough to do jack about it.

I mean, they are still reprinting everything he spews, in headlines (which is all that an alarming percentage of the public consumes), without correction or context--sometimes, there is no correction nor context in the body of the piece, either.
Old November 10th, 2017, 03:02 AM
Immoderate
Administrator

Good points.

Looking back on it, it almost seems like there were elements of the Democratic Party who were sort of rooting for him during primary season; i think because he was viewed as unelectable. I certainly didn't think he stood a snowball's chance in Hell in the General Election, though i stopped short of doing anything remotely positive in his general direction. I've never cared for the guy at all; as a New Yorker, even an upstater, i got to know more about him than i ever wanted to starting way back in the '80's.

I remember laughing my ass off when he declared, thinking, "As if the GOP wasn't splintered enough, this jackass could pull enough fringe groups that what's left of the middle of the party will practically collapse." I was right to an extent, but wrong in the bigger picture, and i certainly never expected to see hideous bigotry moving closer to legitimacy in the way that it has, which to me is the scariest part of his presidency so far (I know some people say his N. Korea baiting is scarier, and i can understand that, but not yet ready to believe that he'd override literally everybody on "both sides of the aisle" on that issue - he's pretty clearly a narcissistic megalomaniac, but i think that actually works against the idea of war with the PRK. He likes talking a tough game but he won't want millions of needlessly dead civilians staining his precious legacy).

There are still years left before presidential primary season becomes official, but of course there's already jockeying. The Democratic Party had a very strong showing in what races there were this year. It's possible that the Dems could take over the House in next year's elections, which offers an avenue of hope for the Dems if Pence and Trump could potentially be removed from office without an opportunity to name a successor (and no i'm not advocating violence).

As you might have noticed, i'm not at all in love with the Democratic Party. In my opinion they've betrayed their constituency and their mandates repeatedly. I think they're basically Republicans who pretend otherwise. That's a rant for a different thread, though. And in that context it's worth noting again that i'm a New Yorker, where politics are a little different. 25+ years ago Gov. George Pataki, a Republican, signed into law what was then the most sweeping piece of socialized medicine legislation in the history of the entire US, one that among other things guaranteed health care for ALL children regardless of ethnicity, gender, legal status, or ANY other factor. ALL children get health care in New York State. And that bill was sponsored by two Republicans and two Democrats and enjoyed broad bipartisan support. George H. W. Bush was prez at the time, using a really long stick to draw a line in the sand near Kuwait.

Anyway, as i mentioned above, political jockeying has already begun for the 2020 POTUS election. Who do you see looking to get their feet under them in the GOP? If i had to single out somebody ambitious who i think can appeal to a wide range of the Republican base, though not the emergent "white nationalists" i'd mention Nikki Haley, current ambassador to the United Nations, former governor of South Carolina, and potential future Secretary of State. Though she's in Trump's cabinet, i wouldn't put it past her to challenge him years from now, assuming of course that Trump doesn't do her dirty and ruin her career as a reward for semi-faithful service. I'm sure there are dozens if not hundreds of other potential challenges on that semi-distant horizon for Trump, but she was one that came to mind at the moment.

-Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Mr Mo; November 10th, 2017 at 03:05 AM.
Old November 10th, 2017, 12:02 PM

Honest answer: everyone in the GOP right now is a horrible human being. Haley? Sorry, her civil and human rights record in South Carolina, let alone her current performance at the UN, show me who she is.

I don't think the Democratic party is all light and angels, but we are at a point where the GOP are all white supremacists themselves, or white supremacist sympathizers, willing to go along for short term personal/political gain. There are plenty like them in the extreme left, who call themselves Democrats, yes, but there are more moderate politicians there than in the GOP.

Ideally, we may go back to a place where there are actual moderates from both parties for bipartisan governance, but that is far from where we are right now.
Old November 10th, 2017, 06:27 PM
Immoderate
Administrator

Oh, i wasn't endorsing Haley by any stretch of the imagination, i was merely speculating that i could see her as somebody the National Republican Party might consider putting up against Trump in a primary. I totally agree that she's scum. Paul Ryan (also scum, but same concept here) is a distant possibility, but i have a hard time imagining him surviving (in a political sense) the next two and half/three years of having to deal with Rump.

I wouldn't personally be comfortable saying that every single individual in the GOP is a piece of shit as a human being, though to be fair to your contention, the only person i can think of off the top of my head that MAYBE could challenge your contention would be McCain, and while he might not be a total shit as a human, he's certainly no paragon of virtue either. I just don't go in for those kind of sweeping generalizations personally.

I'd like to see the US abandon the dichotomized two-party system. It's been too easily corrupted, and the evidence is just everywhere that both parties are generally controlled by individuals and corporate interests with a lot of the same goals, instead of being controlled by the individuals who actually vote. And these two parties have been slowly, steadily, and systematically disenfranchising large chunks of that voting public. Outside of abandoning our two-party system (which based on legislative action, not fiery rhetoric, seems closer and closer to communism every administration), sure, it would be nice to see some middle ground; after all finding middle ground is supposed to be one of the tenets of our political system, with tolerance intended to fill in the gaps. So sad that we're so short of both lately.

-Ronald Reagan

« MyPolitics-Forum.com > Politics Discussion > Polls »